250ml of milk
425g tin condensed milk
1t vanilla essence
1. Melt the butter and sugar, then add the condensed milk, vanilla and milk.
2. Stir and turn up the heat. Keep stirring until the mixture reaches boiling point.
3. Turn the heat down low and stir for 45 minutes (you'll need a chair and book to keep you going here -- or share the duty with a friend and take time for a chat).
4. Remove from the heat and beat for several minutes with a wooden spoon. Put a small bit on a cooled saucer to test: if the tablet sets then it's ready to be put into shallow greased trays.
5. Score the tablet surface by marking it into squares. Allow to set and get cold.
Monday, 15 September 2008
We've always known this as 'fudge' at our place, and it's been a fete staple since I was a little girl; but generally it's called 'Scotch Tablet'. It's a very rich, very sugary sweet, which has a crumbly consistency and a caramel taste. Made from butter, condensed milk and sugar, tablet will give your dentist plenty to smile about ... but the taste is worth any number of dental visits!