1 c shredded coconut
1 c dates, chopped finely
½ c caster (superfine) sugar
1 t lemon zest
125g butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a slice tin with baking paper.
- Place the flour, coconut, dates, sugar and zest in a large mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon, blend in the melted butter and the egg. Mix well.
- Spread the slice mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the slice is firm and has a golden crust. Cool in pan.
- Meanwhile, combine ¾ c icing sugar, 2 t lemon juice and 15g of melted butter in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Once the slice is cool, spread the icing in a thick layer over it, and sprinkle with extra coconut.
- When the icing has set, cut the slice into generous sized squares. Enjoy with a cup of coffee, while sitting on the verandah sofa and basking in the late winter sunshine.