Monday, 24 March 2008

Our Easter Sunday

Guess who visited our garden?
Margaret (my sister-in-law) and I were earnestly discussing when and where to stash the chocolate eggs, when the children came rushing in excitedly, each carrying an enormous egg. We were as surprised and delighted as they were, until we remembered that Aunty Catherine had been for an early morning 'walk' in the garden.
After the bustle of making and eating blueberry pancakes for breakfast, we trooped off to Granny and Papa's house where our lovely Easter tree set the scene ...

... and the table was set for 21 guests...

... was soon bearing an Easter feast, of plates stacked high with roasted meats, chicken, salads, cheesy potato gratin and filo spinach triangles. Dessert was a highlight, with fresh fruit salad and pavlova on offer.

Then after all this abundance it was time for the children's Easter Egg hunt.
Boo didn't put very many eggs into his basket ...
... but Cordelia was thrilled by hunt ...

... and delightedly shouted "It's magic! It's just magic!" each time she found an egg and stashed it in her soon overflowing basket ...

Then after a swim for some and a walk for others, the babies jumped rope in the garden while the older boys played touch football on the field (and the adults drank tea and lazed on comfy sofas, nearly asleep) ...

... then the visitors departed, all agreeing that it had been an enchanted Easter.

6 comments:

Ursula said...

What a pretty site you have. Frog and Toad are Still Friends (Rebecca) directed me to your post. Where could you possibly live as tomorrow we here in Northern Ontario are gritting our teeth anticipating another snowstorm! If you are willing, I would be indebted if you could share what type of camera you use. Your pictures reflect a little of what I see when I set out to take a picture but what my camera never seems to let me reflect. Thanks for the lovely pictures.

Yamile said...

I also found you through Beck. Your pictures are just gorgeous! What a fun day you guys had!!!!

Morning said...

Hi Ursula (I couldn't get to your site, or would leave this comment there). Lovely that you came to visit. We live on the south coast Australia (which explains the autumn weather!). Here, Easter usually marks the turning point into colder weather, although we never get snow.
My camera is a (borrowed from my Dad) Canon EOS 400D. It's a lovely camera, and can do much more than I know about. I'm really keen to learn more about photography, and think that having a blog is a really good incentive for taking shots. That said, I usually take 20 bad shots for every one good shot. I'm trying to fiddle with aperture and shutter speed for different effects, which is fun. I guess my main tip is to try to get as much soft directional light as you can -- that improves shots no end.

Kim said...

Hi Morning, I am new to your site, what a joy it has been. How beautiful your home is, I have learned so much about your area from just looking at the gorgeous pictures. If it is not to much to ask, would you mind sharing your recipe for pavlova, it looks heavenly. Thank you for sharing your special memories.

Morning said...

Hello Kim,
You'll find a post with the pavlova recipe at http://morningbroken.blogspot.com/2007/12/birneys-pavlova.html It's the easiest thing to make, foolproof, and much quicker than a cake (provided you have a mixer with a bit of grunt!). One tip: make sure your eggs are room temp (they'll whip better), oh, and also clean your bowls and beater beforehand, then wipe with a smear of lemon juice to remove any trace of fat. (It's the enemy of fluffy egg whites.)

Kim said...

Thank you so much, I have never heard that about using the lemon juice, sounds logical. Bless you.