The quantities given below make two loaves, and they freeze beautifully, so I'm keeping one in the freezer for Easter afternoon tea. I might even make another batch soon as I know we'll be having plenty of visitors.
1 cup butter, softened(or 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup margarine)
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups mashed (with a fork) ripe bananas (about 6)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Set oven to 180C.
- Grease two 8x4-inch loaf pans.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and the sugar granules have dissolved.
- Add in eggs, and beat well.
- Add in the vanilla and mashed bananas; mix with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon (if using).
- Add in the flour mixture to the creamed mixture; mix only to combine (be sure not to over mix or your cake will be tough!).
- Fold in the blueberries, then mix to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepare baking pans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.