1 1/2 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup water
5 t gelatine
1/2 cup water, extra
1t vanilla essence
1 cup dessicated coconut
- Line a shallow 30cm x 20cm oblong cake tin with aluminium foil. Brush with melted butter.
- Beat sugar and water in a large mixing bowl at high speed for 3 minutes.
- Combine the gelatine with water in a small bowl. Stand bowl in hot water; stir until dissolved. Add to sugar mixture. Beat for 10 minutes at hight speed until the mixture is thick and white. Add essence.
- Pour into tin and spread out evenly. Leave overnight to set at room temperature.
- To toast coconut, preheat oven to 180C. Spread coconut on a flat baking tray and bake for about 3 minutes, or until golden (watch out -- this burns so quickly!)
- Turn marshmallow out of tin and cut into cubes. Roll each side in toasted cocnut.
- Store in a single layer in a cool dark place for up to 7 days. Keep flat.