This was the easiest recipe I've come across in ages, and simple to convert to gluten and milk free. Within 10 minutes it was ready to slip into the oven, and we had time to straighten up the house (and ourselves) before the doorbell rang at 10:30am!
2 cups gluten-free flour
4 t baking powder
½ cup caster sugar
Finely grated zest 1 lemon
3 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup soy milk
½ cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in sugar and zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and oil. Fold into dry ingredients.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked when tested. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with pure icing sugar (no gluten) to serve.